Making EEPROMs a Safe Place for Sensitive Data
The Microchip CryptoMemory® family offers a range of cost-efficient, high-security electrically erasable programmable read-only memory chips (EEPROMs) and host-side security for applications requiring comprehensive data protection, including mutual authentication between devices and host. CryptoMemory chips are the world’s largest family of EEPROMs with a 64-bit embedded hardware encryption engine, four sets of nonreadable, 64-bit authentication keys, and four sets of nonreadable, 64-bit session encryption keys. The result: a truly secure means of preventing product counterfeiting and piracy. The chip family features a choice of memory densities and is easy to implement in a variety of applications.
- Designer’s choice — The chips are available in memory densities ranging from 1 Kbit to 256 Kbits to accommodate diverse storage and cost requirements.
- Multiple access levels — User memory can be divided into as many as 16 separate sections, allowing several different levels of read and write access.
- No special expertise — A CryptoMemory design kit offers a library of simple API calls that execute the most complex host operations.
- Standard interfaces — The chips provide standard 2-wire communication interfaces to Microchip and other microcontrollers, as well as a standard smart card interface to off-the-shelf readers.
- Package options — Options include 8-lead SOIC, TSSOP, uDFN, and PDIP plastic packages, modules for smartcard applications, and wafers thinned down to 6 mils.
- Host-side simplicity — The Microchip CryptoCompanion™ chip provides simple, plug-and-play authentication on a host device.